What is it?

Are you coming from abroad to live in the Netherlands for the first time and will you be living in the Netherlands for more than 4 months? Or have you previously been registered with the BRP in the Netherlands? Then you are required to (re)register with the Municipal Personal Records Database (BRP). The procedure depends on your individual situation. 

How does it work?

Everyone who comes from abroad to live for more than 4 months within a period of 6 months in this Municipality, has to register at the municipality.

You can register if your stay in The Netherlands is legal. This is called lawful residence. The following instances are cases of lawful residence:

  • You hold the Dutch nationality.
  • You hold the nationality of one of the members of the European Union(externe link).
  • You hold the nationality of one of the following countries: Liechtenstein, Norway, Iceland or Switzerland.
  • You have a valid residence permit.
  • When you have to wait for the decision on your residence permit in the Netherlands.

What should I do?

  • You must register in person at the municipality within 5 days after arriving in the Netherlands.
  • You will be registered on your new address.
  • If your partner comes to live in the Netherlands as well, your partner has to come to the municipality with you.
  • If your children come to live in the Netherlands as well, then they have to come to the municipality with you.
  • After registration, you will get a Citizen Service Number (BSN). You need a Citizen Service Number for all communication with the municipality and national government.

Will you be staying in the Netherlands for less than 4 months?

If your stay in the Netherlands will be shorter than 4 months, you do not need to register at the municipality. You should then register as a non-resident in the BRP . This is called the Registration of Non-Residents (RNI).(externe link)

What should I bring?

  • Valid identification.
  • Identification that proves your nationality.
  • Documents that prove your living in the Netherlands, like a rental agreement, contracts of sale or a statement of the main occupant of the dwelling.
  • Foreign officials documents of life events, like birth certificates, marriage certificates, certificate of recognition or documents from previous or dissolved marriages.

In certain situations, you need to provide additional documents with your application:

  • If you are moving in with someone else, you need a written consent of the principal occupant of the address.
  • If you are moving from Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao, Saba, St. Eustatius or St. Maarten, you need a proof of deregistration.

How long does it take?

The municipality will register you as soon as possible. This takes a maximum of 4 weeks.

Heeft deze informatie u geholpen?