Emigration, moving abroad
Wat is het?
What is it?
Emigration means moving abroad for a longer period of time. This implies that within a period of one year you will live a minimum of 8 months abroad. This period does not need to be continuous.
Before you move abroad you have to notify the municipality of your emigration.
Direct online regelen
Arrange it online
The municipality Voorschoten works with eIDAS: the European electronic identification and trust services. For more information on eIDAS.
Hoe werkt het?
How does it work?
You are required to notify the municipality yourself. However in some instances someone else can do it for you:
• Are you 18 years or older? You are required to notify the municipality yourself.
• Are you younger than 16 years? Your parents, guardians or caregivers have to notify the municipality.
• Are you 16 or 17 years old? You can notify the municipality of your emigration. However, your parents, guardians or caregivers can do it for you too.
• Are you under guardianship? Then the curator will notify the municipality of your emigration.
Some persons can notify the municipality for someone else:
• The parent and their adult child can do it for each other. This is only possible if they live at the same address.
• Spouses and registered partners can do it for each other. This is only possible if they live at the same address.
• The head of a healthcare facility can do it for the person that lives at that facility.
Important. When do you have to come by personally?
Do you live with several persons at the same address but does not everyone emigrate with you? Then everyone that will emigrate should come by the municipality personally. In this case also children under the age of 18 should come to the municipality.
Wat moet ik doen?
What should I do?
You notify the municipality of your emigration. Do this within 5 days prior to your departure. Provide the municipality with the following information:
• The names and dates of birth of the family members that are emigrating with you
• Your old address
• Your new address
• The date of emigration
Wat heb ik nodig?
What should I bring?
Arrange it online
• Your eIDAS information
Going to the municipality in person
• Valid identification
By written notification
• The form of the municipality
• Your signature on the form
• A copy of your valid identification
Hoe lang duurt het?
How long does it takes?
The municipality will change your information immediately.
As of 8 September, 2014 it is no longer possible to receive an extract with information about your departure the day after departing. This is only possible at one of the RNI desks. These are located in the following municipalities: Alkmaar, Almelo, Amsterdam, Breda, Den Haag, Doetinchem, Eindhoven, Groningen, Goes, Heerlen, Leeuwarden, Leiden, Nijmegen, Rotterdam, Terneuzen, Utrecht, Venlo and Zwolle.
Online een afspraak maken?